Sunday, March 30, 2014

Birthing Adventure- Part 2 - Saturday, March 22

Just when I thought I was getting into the routine of things, things started to go sideways.  Thursday night during my evening shower, I noticed a medium sized blood clot and an increase in blood flow, bright red. On Friday, I noticed I was passing a few more clots throughout the day and the blood was still quite bright red.  By Saturday evening, the clots were more prominent. At 11pm, both my hubby and I started to get more concerned. By 11:30, I decided to just sit on the toilet and just bleed out.  I was surfing the net for information about postpartum hemorrhaging.

It was at this point that I started to have difficulty breathing. I was getting light headed and I was in a cold sweat. That's when I got my hubby to call 911.

Everything from that point on was another blur. My husband got my sister to help direct the paramedics and to head to the hospital with me while he stayed home to take care of the twins. He wanted to come, but with 2 babies, it just wasn't possible. I just recall shivering uncontrollably and that the paramedic couldn't get the IV into me.

I had spent the last 1.5 weeks dealing with excessive swelling from the C-section/IV drip from the hospital and did not want to have to try to bring down the swelling again.  Anyhow, at the hospital the nurses had a difficult time getting access to a vein for a blood test and to hook in an IV because of my swelling and blood loss.  I was given 2 bags of red blood cells.

The doctors told me that I likely contracted a bacterial infection in my uterus. This is not uncommon. I am so grateful that my GP was very active... way more than my OB. She was definitely my saving grace as she was the one constant person/caregiver that I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment